Friday, July 22, 2011

It's Damn Hot Today!

I am not venturing out too much today.  I put out the garbage can last night so I didn't have to do it this morning.  The drapes and curtains are drawn and the AC is set at a comfortable temperature.  The best thing I ever did in my life was to purchase Fijitsu units that go on the wall and never come down.  I made that decision after one weekend when I did not yet have the window air conditioning units in and the temperatures inside my house rose to ninety-four degrees.  That was the same weekend when a fluky thing happened to my furnace that ended up spewing oil over the cement floor around the unit.

It was on a Sunday that I'm calling my oil company's emergency line.  Within an hour they were on the scene.  The furnace was only six months old at the time.  I still remember them burning off the fuel and thick black smoke spewing from my chimney into the quiet summer air.  Horrendous.  And during that same period a lightning storm fried my modem.  Come Monday I had the repair guys from the oil company and the phone company inside this house, and both could not imagine how I could live here with 90 plus temps.  My basement was the only place I could go to escape the heat at the time but because of the problems with the furnace, the smell of the oil,  and the problem with the phone line upstairs I found myself having to stay upstairs and deal with the heat.

The repairman mentioned Fijitsu units that would essentially give me central air.  My eyes opened wide, hope soared inside me that I could actually start to live a more comfortable life than what I was living.   I thought back to the first winter as a widow and the first blizzard where the wind actually blew my drapes back and forth.  At the time I did have an airconditioning unit still inside the window so that cold air coming through the sides of it was fast negating the warmth that a 40 plus year old furnace could muster.  There I was at midnight duct taping sheets of plastic to a large picture window, side windows, over the entire airconditioning unit, plus a doorway and whatever else I detected frigid air coming through.  

These Fijitsu's also pump out heat as well.  I thought well with the new furnace and these Fijitsu's I may never suffer through another harsh winter or hot sultry summer again.  Besides, I am getting old...older, and my body no longer is able to adapt to extreme temperatures.   I had them install not one, not two, but three of these units. 

Today we will have triple digit temps outside.  It's morning and my temp gauge reads 94 outside, 76 inside.  Humidity is low inside, and barely breathable outside.

 I'm sitting here in relative comfort thanks to my decision to buy these units, which are also so quiet I have to look at them to see if they're on by the red light.

Gone are the days of spending summer days down in my basement, or sleeping on a pull out sofa in my family room because it several degrees cooler in there.

Yep, it's damn hot out there.   I'm staying indoors today.

No comments: