Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Today's Youth

I know there are kids out there actually willing to learn. Yet, a little while ago a neighbor's son comes over and without asking starts to go through stuff that is on my shelves. I was in the other room. I didn't particularly liked his touching my stuff without asking my permission. And when he picks up a National Geographic DVD on the Universe and asked, "Did you really watch this?" I said yes. His reply, "Boring."

That tells me a lot about this misguided soul who feels that the world around us boring, that learning about it, and discovering new things about it is not worth his time.

There are so many inane boring reality shows on TV that this generation has no awareness of that what surrounds them in terms of enlightenment, and basically a solid understanding of our world can set them on a course that will feed their curiosity for years to come.

Sad indeed.

Of course when I mentioned that to truly understand the Universe you need a good understanding of math...well hello...that's when I really lost his focus.

The fact that I was working and trying to finish a writing project probably contributed to my impatience with his lack of insight as well as his inability to truly understand that learning about the Universe puts you into a place where one's perspectives about the world can be changed.

As if he could understand that or even attempt to comprehend.

Thankfully I had just finished watching a news clip about two young men who won a prestigious award that may indeed help find a fast and less aggressive treatment for killing cancer cells. That restored my faith that today's youth are on track and our answers about so many things for the future.

Anyway I was not in a particularly good mood when my neighbors left. I feel bad about it but by the same token I don't like when I'm criticized for the material I read, or watch, and enjoy.

How many times have people come into my house and criticized the fact that I have a lot of books. Some have looked at me as if I'm crazy. Yet...I do not go over to their house and look through their things. I know better. I respect others because of my empathy that they may not like the idea of me going through their things.

Which basically tells me that "respect for others" and "empathy for others" are greatly lacking in some of today's youth.

I think if there was more respect and empathy we wouldn't be a world of nations against nations...religions against religions. Instead there could be more hope for this world instead of a world that may end May 21, 2011.

I now need to get back to my writing project that is about ready to be released.

No comments: