Children often don't feel like eating following a cold or illness. Their nutrition suffers and their immune system suffers. This accounts for the common occurrence of getting one infection after another. It's best to keep so well nourished that the nutritional reserves can withstand several days of poor eating. Drink this smoothie daily upon school entry in September, upon beginning daycare, upon exposure to a contagious illness, or when you or your child feels a cold coming on.
· 2 cups milk or soy or rice beverage
· 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
· 1 serving of a multinutrient supplement
· one frozen banana, cut up
· 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
· 1/2 cup each of your favorite fruit, frozen (e.g., organic strawberries, papaya, mango)
· 1 tbsp. flax oil or 2 tbsp. flaxseed meal (Because fiber steadies the absorption of carbohydrates and therefore contributes to a steadier blood sugar we suggest using rich sources of fiber, such as flaxseed meal (i.e., ground flax seeds, containing both the oil and fiber), although flax oil has a more palatable consistency than flaxseed meal. For additional fiber, if you don't mind an even grainier texture, add 1 tbsp. or more of oat bran.)
· 3 ounces tofu
· 10 mg. zinc
· 100 mcg. selenium
· 50-100 IU vitamin E
· 1 serving soy isolate powder (optional)
· 2 tbsp. peanut butter (optional)
Combine all the ingredients and blend until smooth. Serve immediately after blending while the mixture still has a bubbly milkshake-like consistency.