Tuesday, April 21, 2009

HE LIKES IT! HE LIKES IT!!!!

Some of us have kids or grandkids who are "finicky" eaters. We want them to eat healthy but what if they simply refuse to eat certain foods. My five year old grandson has suffered ear infections, sore throats, etc almost since birth. Last year he had his tonsils removed. He had tubes put into his ears for drainage. He's had his adenoids removed. His tonsils were so swollen at one point he refused to eat any meat. You can't blame him. As a result he developed into a bit of a finicky eater.

He is improving as his parents are always trying to encourage him to eat good things, and are patient with him as well.

Last night he and his mom came over for a little while. I had made Portuguese Kale Soup and asked if he wanted to try some. His mom and I both had nofgreat expectations that he would eat it. So you can imagine our surprise when after finishing the first small bowl, he wanted another, and then another. Our eyes lit up because this soup is chocked full with nutritients.

I think it produces the right blends of vegetables and even fruit (tomatoes) that is quite appealing to every palate. I know I usually have a least two bowls of this stuff at a time.

Today I'm going out and getting more of these ingredients and making an extra big pot of it so that I can bring over a large container to both of my sons' houses. Hey, what are grandmother's for anyways? Even if I'm not Portuguese I love this soup. I do have a Portuguese friend who remembers his mom making this soup all the time. I guess you can say it's a memory maker as well.

I'm sharing the recipe here for those who may want to try it especially if they have little ones who are finicky eaters.

PORTUGUESE KALE SOUP

1 pound kale 2 tablespoons butter
1 pound small red potatoes 8 cups Basic Chicken Broth (I buy the fat
free canned chicken broth)
1 cup chopped onions Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup chopped carrots
3 pounds tomatoes (I buy the large canned either diced or crushed tomatoes)
2 cloves garlic
1 pound chorizo (or linguica) sausage (The linguica is not as spicy.)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (I use olive oil)

1 Strip the kale leaves off their stems and cut diagonally into wide slices. Dice the potatoes. Chop the onions and carrots. Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes. Mince the garlic. Prick the sausage and boil it in water for 5 to 10 minutes to release the fat; drain and cut it into 1/2-inch slices.

2. In a soup pot, heat the oild and butter together. Saute the oinion, carrots, and garlic for 3 to 5 minutes on medium heat. Add the broth and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce toa simmer, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.

3. With a masher or the back of a cooking spoon, mash most of the potatoes against the side of the pot.

4. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Add both the kale and the sausage slices, cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes.

Salt and pepper to taste.

And that's it!

This soup tastes great the next day and the next, if there's any left over.

And of course it'll taste great with freshly made bread.

Since I'm Italian, for an Italian touch, I add a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese when serving.

No comments: