Thursday, August 20, 2009

One week with Sugar


Yep, it's one week today and yes it has been a bit of an adjustment period for both of us. The beginning of the week I found myself asking, "What the heck was I thinking?" A puppy is work. Every morning instead of coming straight to the computer, I now go straight to the family room and clean out her pen. She sits there and looks up at me, then shakes, jumps, and when I open the door wants to be picked up right away. Reminds me of the days when I took care of babies. Not much difference.

This morning a week later I went through the same routine, as well as washed her with a Quick Bath pad, ensuring I covered everything, and then I brushed her as well. I let her loose and she followed me from room to room. So of course I had to shuffle through the house as I continued to clean out my office, taking more time and getting less done.

Then I looked at her at one point and something came over me. I need to appreciate these "puppy" moments because like with my babies, they are fleeting and you find yourself wondering where all the time went. Of course tears came to my eyes as I picked her up and gave her a kiss and lots of hugs, and a few treats.

Stay in the moment, enjoy the present, and the rest will take care of itself. That's pretty much what I'm learning to do with Sugar. One day she's not going to be able to run like she did this morning, and may simply stay in her spot watching the world go by.

Meantime, she can run like the wind, and enjoy her puppyhood with me.

No comments: